What is heard?
You first hear the sound of a melodic piano playing softly, this generally represents love and happiness. You then hear digetic sound, the sound effect of a bike bell ringing. Along with this sound, is the scene where Noah and his friends are riding on bikes. It is digetic sound because you would expect to hear the ring of the bell. Narration and voice over then takes place, telling the story of their romance. Dialogue is used a lot as well during the trailer, from all characters. This automatically tells the audience the obvious story line of the movie, and makes it easier for the audience to understand. The violin, flute, and also cymbals are also used during this trailer, to suggest sorrow, longing, affection and desire.
What is seen?
Throughout this movie, a lot of bright colours and lighting are used during the happy times of the film. If there is a good situation, there most likely might be an object that represents that positivity, e.g. birds in the beginning, ducks, bikes, lakes, laughter etc. Filters have been added to the filming to give it that vintage, retro feeling and make it seem nostalgic. Slow motion is also used e.g. Allie laughing in slow motion, Allie and her new fiance dancing. This gives a great sense of happiness and dramatises it even more. When scenes are filmed during night time, a lot of bokeh and light flares are used to make the colourful lights nice and blurry. This focuses on the people's faces more and less of the background. Low angles are used to make it seem like you are viewing things from Noah's perspective, and high angles are also used e.g. Above Noah when he lets go of one of his arm on the ferris wheel to try and get Allie to go out with him on a date. tracking shots are also used e.g. Allie swinging on the rope into the lake. I find that they use a lot of mid-close up shots while showing people's emotions. Many of these shots are used in a row. Two shots are used a lot to show Allie and Noah together, along with side view shots and over the shoulder shots of people's faces close up to show their true emotion and to intensify their emotions. Horses are seen quite a number of times in this trailer, this shows the royalty of Allie's side. Allie's hair is done very nicely and always looks perfect, this also represents her royal side. The Notebook uses a lot of colour, especially in scenes at the carnival and on the lakes, but then when they are filming sad moments, they use a lot of dim lighting and gloomy colours.
1) Lake- One of the symbols that represent Allie and Noah. They always go out on the lake and that is where the magic between them happens. It represents
2) Rowing boat- Noah was rowing on the lake once when he was very upset about Allie and it was pouring with rain, and then again he has had happy times on the boat with her in it.
3)Ferris Wheel- This element has a lot of meaning because this is where it all started. Noah bribing Allie to go out with him by hanging off the ferris wheel which is very dangerous.
4)The Colour white- when Noah goes over to Allie's for lunch with her family and friends, they are all wearing white tuxedos and dresses, as well as the white balloons and white decorations. I think that white symbolises simplicity, pure and it makes people look a lot more classy and dressed up.
5) Allie's curly hair- Allie always has the same bouncy curl hairstyle, I think it represents her personality very well.
6) Noah's New white house- Noah and Allie promised to live in a house together and Noah rebuilt the whole house suiting it to the description that Allie wanted.
7) The colour blue- It can often represent coolness, the sky and the sea. It is used quite often in the movie.
8) The letters that Noah wrote to Allie- Noah wrote to Allie after she moved away, for 365 days. Her mother hid them from her, so that she was not able to see the letters and thats why she thought Noah didn't love her anymore.
9) Allie's paintings- Allie is a talented painter, and her paintings showcases her talents throughout the movie. It is a way to connect both her and Noah together.
10) Birds- Allie wanted to be reincarnated as a bird, the birds show up in the movie several times. This represents free-spirited minds and peace, between class divisions (rich and poor, Noah and Allie). Allie wanted less structure than her very sheltered and organised life.
The overall message is to show the importance of love and how strong and meaningful it can sometimes be. It conquers all, no matter how many times the old man has to read the lady the story of Noah and Allie, he hopes that one day she will remember him. She was his sweetheart, and he would not leave her as long as shes there to stay, he would stay waiting, and that second chances always exist.